This vivid town surrounded by vineyards sits on the northeast slopes of Fruska Gora Mountain, along he Danube. A bit more than two centuries ago, Sremski Karlovci was the center of the religious, political and cultural life of Serbian people in Austro- Hungary. In 1699, the so called " Peace in Karlovac " was signed, famous round table at which the negotiators sat down for the first time in the history of diplomacy. Besides, one entrance was opened for each party in order to be equal, today it is the famous Chapel of Peace.
This a smalll town, a museum in the open air, is made of pearls of history.and many visit it for the " joy of wine " in the end of September and the beginning of October, when a big grape ball is organised.
Fine wines of Karlovac were sent to the court of Vienna in the 18th century, especially "Ausbruch", "Cypress wine ", "Bermet Kaplijas". They are still produced in special cellar in limited quantities.
Important places from their geographical value :
Royal Garden : The complex of the Royal Garden is situated in the town, 500 m away from the town centre. It is one of the oldest botanical gardens in our country.
Strazilovo . This is the most famous picnic ground within the National Park “Fruska Gora“. It is situated 5 km away from Sremski Karlovci.
Marshes of Kovilj and Petrovaradin This is a special nature reserve under the state protection, which is characterized by attractive landscape and significant biodiversity.
Due to its exceptional natural values, in 1989 “Marshes of Kovilj and Petrovaradin“ was declared the bird habitat of international importance (IBA).
In the vicinity of Karlovci it is worth to see:
Krusedol Monastery : is only 12 km away from Sremski Karlovci. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century. The monastery represented the seat of the diocese for a while.
Grgeteg Monastery : is situated 16 km away from Sremski Karlovci. It is considered to be one of the oldest monasteries on Fruska Gora and it is certainly one of the most beautiful.
Petrovaradin Tekije: The church of the Snowing Lady is situated 5 km away from Sremski Karlovci. It was built during the second half of the 18th century in a memory of the great Christian victory over the Turks that took place on August 5th 1716.
On the church dome, one can see the cross and the crescent together in one on top of the roof, the symbols of the Christianity and Islam.
Important monumental buildings as symbols of culture and history:
Patrirachy Residence:This is the most monumental building from the 19th century in Vojvodina. It represents the combination of baroque and pseudo-renaissance styles.
Orhodox Cathedral:The church built in 1762 is dedicated to St. Nicolas. This single-nave church is one of the most beautiful examples of the 18th –century architecture in Vojvodina. Its iconostasis is regarded as the masterpiece of the Serbian baroque painting.
Karlovci Grammar Schoool: The oldest Serbian Grammar School was founded in 1791. The present school building dates from 1891. Today, Karlovci Grammar School is a philological secondary school, where modern and classical languages are studied.
Four Liaons Fountain : The fountain was built in 1799 in honour of finishing the first public system of water supply in Karlovci.
Karlovci Theological Shool: The oldest Serbian Theological School was established by metropolitan Stevan Stratimirovic in 1794. The department of the Archive of the Serbian Academy for Science and Arts is also situated in this building.
Peace Chapel: This exceptional monument was built in 1817 on the site where famous Karlovci Peace Treaty had been signed between the countries of the Christian Alliance and Turkey in 1699.
Roman Catholic Church :The church dedicated to the Holy Trinity was built in 1768 in the baroque style.
Town Hall: The edifice was being built from 1808 and 1811 in neoclassical style. Today, it is a seat of the municipal government.
Seminary Edifice: The boarding school for the pupils of the Karlovci Theological School was built in 1901.
Stefaneum:This building was erected in 1903 on the initiative of the Patriarch Georgije Brankovic to provide an accommodation for the pupils of the Seminary and Grammar School.
Panaromic Spot : This is a place with an extraordinary view of Sremski Karlovci, its cultural and historical monuments and the lowland of Backa.
Pharmacy :This is one of the oldest pharmacies in Vojvodina built in 1890 and it has been working ever since.
Bermet : Special local wine. Bermet is one of the first things that cross our mind when we mention Sremski Karlovci. Taste is derived from medicinal herbs, spices and dry fruit that are added to it during the process of production.
Kuglof : Local cake. The first information about this cake date from 17th century. ıt has been collected almost 400 recipes. Nowadays, it is made with various ingredients, such as cocoa, raisins, almond, hazelnuts and other type of nuts. The most famous types of Kuglof are ancient, colourful, marble and wine Kuglof.
Sremski Karlovci is on the road Belgrade -Novisad, which is approximately 80 kilometres and Karlovci is 10 kilometre before reaching Novi Sad.
After arriving by plane to Belgrade Nikola Tesla International Airport we can arrange for you transportation services to your address in or outside Belgrade, also to the intercity bus station center in Belgrade. Please send a request via our link
It is worth to have a look our tour to Sremski Karlovci and Novi Sad in the northern Serbia.